Brown & White Caterthuns, West of Edzell, Angus

The Caterthuns are a pair of Iron Age hill forts, sited about 1km apart and each providing wide views of the surrounding landscape. Archaeological investigations have shown that both hilltops have been the sites of multiple phases of occupation. The Brown Caterthun was occupied during the 1st millennium BCE and the White Caterthun from the … Continue reading Brown & White Caterthuns, West of Edzell, Angus

The Hood Stones, Loch Eriboll

Launched in 1918, the battle cruiser H.M.S. Hood was Britain's biggest warship, earning it the nickname 'The Mighty Hood'. The vessel undertook missions and exercises around the world during the inter-war years before being mobilised for operations at the outbreak of World War II. In 1934, the Hood was anchored in Loch Eriboll, Sutherland. During … Continue reading The Hood Stones, Loch Eriboll

Dun Carloway, Isle of Lewis

The broch at Carloway (Carlabagh) on the Isle of Lewis is an Iron Age monument that was probably constructed about the 1st century BCE and occupied initially until about 500 CE. Brochs are a type of circular roundhouse or tower construction unique to Scotland. Dun Carloway (Dùn Chàrlabhaigh) is a well-preserved example, with the back … Continue reading Dun Carloway, Isle of Lewis

The Blackhouse, Arnol, Isle of Lewis

The Blackhouse site at Arnol, on the West coast of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, consists of the houses and immediate surrounds of two crofts. At number 42, there is a conserved thatched ‘blackhouse’, originally constructed around 1875, and the 1960s bungalow that replaced it; and at number 39, there is a … Continue reading The Blackhouse, Arnol, Isle of Lewis

Kinneil Estate, Bo’ness

The 200-acre Kinneil Estate encompasses buildings and archaeological remains that evidence human occupation over a period of 2000 years. These include a section of the Roman Antonine Wall, with visible remains of a fortlet, and Kinneil House, the earliest parts of which were originally a 15th Century Tower House. Both of these sites are ‘properties … Continue reading Kinneil Estate, Bo’ness

Cables Wynd House, Edinburgh

Cables Wynd House, commonly referred to as the ‘Banana Flats’, is an elongated 10-storey concrete-slab block of 212 flats with private and public access balconies. It is located within the Kirkgate area of Leith, Edinburgh. The development of Kirkgate is bounded by Tolbooth Wynd (north), Cables Wynd (west), Yardheads (south), New Kirkgate (southeast) and also includes … Continue reading Cables Wynd House, Edinburgh